Awareness of the World's Greatest Creation
"The Human Body"
Pan Sauce Chicken
Brown lightly seasoned chicken breasts, then make a simple pan sauce with white wine, chicken broth and herbs.
Simmer all together and you have Pan Sauce Chicken!
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
0.5 teaspoon sea salt
0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
0.5 teaspoon seasoning salt
3 tablespoons spelt flour
3 tablespoons water
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons chopped Italian herbs
1. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and seasoning salt. In a small bowl, combine flour and water and mix until no lumps remain and the mixture is completely smooth.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and brown for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Remove chicken to a plate or platter.
3. De-glaze skillet with wine and broth and bring to simmer over medium low heat. When simmering, add herbs; whisk in flour mixture. Return to simmer, reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet with juices.
4. Cover skillet and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (no longer pink inside), turning frequently.
¼ cup orange juice
½ teaspoon grated lime rind
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
4 halibut filets (chicken also works great with this recipe)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cups bagged, prewashed baby spinach
Combine first eight ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Pour ¼ cup of the mixture into a large zip-lock plastic bag.
Add fish to the bag. Seal and let stand five minutes. Add oil to the remaining juice mixture and stir.
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove fish from bag.
Remember to discard the marinade that was in the bag. Add fish to pan and cook four minutes on each side or until done.
Put 1 ½ cups spinach on each of four plates. Divide fish evenly among servings.
Top each serving with 1 tablespoon juice mixture.
Southwest Tortilla Soup
- 3 chicken breasts (grilled or steamed)
- 2 green zucchini (cut into spoon-size pieces)
- 2 yellow squash (cut into spoon-size pieces)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium red tomatoes (diced into spoon-size pieces)
- 3 medium tomatoes, pureed
- ½ bunch cilantro (fresh, washed, then chopped)
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
Shred the cooked chicken into a pot and add zucchini, squash, diced tomatoes, pureed tomatoes and cilantro.
Fill the pot about 2 inches from top with water. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
Cook at medium heat for approximately one hour or until vegetables are tender and soup has reached full boil for 20 minutes.
Makes one large cooking pot. You may also add a slice of avocado diced over the top just prior to serving if you have not exceeded your daily fat intake for the day.
Add additional chili powder, cumin, and cayenne red pepper according to your tolerance for spiciness.
For 1 serving: Adjust recipe to ½-1 chicken breast, 1/4 zucchini, 1/4 squash, ¼ onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 medium diced red tomato, 1 pureed tomato and a small handful of cilantro (just for flavor). Adjust chili powder, cumin, cayenne red pepper, salt and black pepper to a few dashes.